Thursday, March 31, 2011

Compassion

com·pas·sion [kuhm-pash-uhn] –noun
1. a feeling of deep sympathy and sorrow for another who is stricken by misfortune,
accompanied by a strong desire to alleviate the suffering.
So my youth group has decided to sponsor a child through Compassion International. Myself and a friend are in charge of choosing a child, and then collecting the money from our fellow youth members after that.
And I'm sitting here, poring over face after face after face, looking at boys and girls, of all ages between thirteen and seventeen, orphaned or in AIDS-affected areas or with special needs. And I'm sitting here crying, because we have to choose just one. And I feel so guilty, looking at the specific stories and needs of each, and trying to choose one with our group in mind. How can I take it upon myself to choose who to help, when they all need it?
I know I don't have very many readers on here, but you guys? These kids need our help. Compassion's got a great thing going. It's so easy to sign up, and thirty-eight dollars a month? We can do that. Get your youth group, get your family, get a few friends, and let's do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment