Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Appreciation Post on a Different Kind of Friend

Different in that, this person is different than the kind of person that I usually allow myself to be friends with. Usually, when this kind of person and I are friends, it ends badly; and I've learned to stay away. The kind of person who tends to own a room by walking into it, the kind of person whose fan club is everyone they've ever met.
Well, this time, I didn't have much of a choice. I had to be this person's friend in order to keep the peace around here, and I'm so glad I did, because I would've missed a chance to get to know someone who's really been a blessing to me.
It's not often, in an extroverted personality, that you find a kind of understanding and comprehension of the introverted mind that allows for real friendship. Often, the extrovert thinks the introvert should "fix" themselves and become extroverted. Rarely does the extrovert understand that a stoic face does not necessarily denote a stoic mind. This person has.
The list is short of people who put forth effort to draw me out of myself. The list is short of people who are capable of and allowed to pick on me, on my terms, in such a way that I enjoy it, instead of closing up like a clam.
Far and away, my friends have been like me, with a certain reticence towards the outside world. This is why my friendships tend to work. It's a rare, unfamiliar, and greatly appreciated sort of friend who can be so different from me without, well, irking me.

No comments:

Post a Comment